According to Webmd, dark chocolate has a multitude of health benefits! To name a few:
- It’s been proven to lower blood pressure
- It is packed with antioxidants that eliminate free radicals
- It contains essential vitamins and minerals including Iron, Magnesium, Copper, and Manganese
- It has been shown to lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol
- It may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease
- It contains flavonoids that protect skin against harmful sun rays
- It improves brain function; it reduces food cravings, helping you lose weight
- t improves insulin sensitivity, helping prevent diabetes
- It improves your mood – awesome!
So we’re convinced dark chocolate is good for us. But what exactly do we mean by “dark chocolate”?
- Focus on the cocoa: when it comes to chocolate, the higher cocoa percentage, the better. Shoot for at least 70% cocoa, and aim for higher if you can tolerate it.
- Reduce sugar: sugar can wreak havoc on our systems, so do your best to reduce or eliminate the amount of sugar in your chocolate
- Eliminate milk: do your best to find dairy free dark chocolate. No milk and no milk products. Milk causes inflammation in our bodies and prevents the absorption of chocolate’s many nutrients.
- Portion control: when indulging, stick to a small amount per day. 1-2 squares is all you need to reap the benefits of dark chocolate.
So go forth and indulge! Healthily 🙂